The student trainers behind the athletes win again

The HR athletic training program has gotten multiple awards and has constantly won in competitions. On Jan. 27, 2020, they took first and second place in the DCSD student athletic training aide competition. This is a series of competitions that consist of many different events. This is the fifth year in a row that they have won, and they have not placed any lower than second place. 

The winner of the competition hosts the next year’s competition. So for the last few years, HR has hosted. “First, we start out with other teams. We do a relay and get to know people from other schools. Then we go into a taping contest where one person from each team tapes one of their teammates and it’s graded pretty hard. One wrinkle in the tape is around 5 points off, and it has to be under 4 minutes,” said Sharpe. HR students were split into two teams. Sunny Tran, Bella Lupo and Bethany Vaught took first place. Carlos Cuevas, Lauren Sharpe and Rebecca Jacob took second place. 

Athletic training
HR student athletic trainers win DCSD student athletic training aide competition. Photo courtesy of Lauren Sharpe. 

Athletes in various sports understand just how important athletic trainers are to their lives. Athletic trainers help athletes in many different ways. From preventing injuries to treating injuries, they are always there to help you. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,”  said Tom Sylva, head athletic trainer and teacher. “What we do is we attempt to prevent injuries. It’s always easier to prevent an ACL injury if you can, rather than taking care of an ACL injury.”

Athletic trainers work with all different sports and injuries.“We do a lot of prevention by taping, bandaging. We take care of injuries like shin splints and tendonitis all the way up to concussions, ACL blowouts, dislocations and fractures,” said Sylva.

In order to be an athletic trainer or aide, you have to begin with the basics. “I became involved in athletic training last year, and I liked doing this kind of stuff, wrapping bandages, helping out and learning about the body,” said Carlos Cuevas, junior and student trainer/aide. 

Athletic training is a class that you can take and keep taking it if you want. “Sophomore year, I took athletic training one and I really enjoyed it, so then I got into athletic training two. I then had a good knowledge of the basics, and so then I just started doing after school things, working in the training room with all the sports teams,” said Lauren Sharpe, senior and student trainer/aide. 

If you want to get involved in athletic training, there are so many opportunities. “If you want to try athletic training, come in and see what we do. Coming in and doing a shadow would be a really good idea, especially if you like working with people, working with your hands, potential injuries, and sometimes you have to be able to deal with blood,” said Sylva.

Athletic training is something anyone can do and it gets you involved as well. Cuevas said, “It’s a fun experience to have, going to high school games, and it gets you ready for the future, especially if you want to enter the medical field. I find it a fun thing to do.”

Amalia SanMillan, Staff Reporter