Kriz takes a trip to Mexico

David Kriz, a physical education teacher who instructs the adventure classes at HR, recently took a trip to Playa del Carmen, Mexico during winter break. This was a Christmas present for his 3 kids and they were excited to return to the coastal resort town. 

He and his wife had initially been there with their three children for their destination wedding six years ago, but wanted to go back to enjoy what the city had to offer. Kriz siad, “We went back to the same resort and kind of checked it all out again where we were able to take some time and actually enjoy it without the rush of getting married down there.”

His favorite activities he did while in Playa del Carmen was swimming and snorkeling at the resort with fish and small turtles in the freshwater cenote, an underground cave with a collapsed ceiling that contains permanent, still water.

Inforgraphic by Madi Hamm

Another excursion that the Kirz family would recommend  is the zipline tour they went on. It highlighted all of the jungle around the resort and ended with a splash landing into a pool of water in a cave. On this tour, he noticed many monkeys in the jungle and continued to see them throughout the resort. “Most of the monkeys that we saw were in the trees, but then there were a couple of monkeys that we saw hanging around and jumping on people’s balconies,” said Kriz. 

Mr. Kriz will always look back on this trip with fond memories, but as with every trip these days, there were COVID precautions that were set in place. They took as many safety measures as they could during their time traveling to and from Mexico. The way there was a scarier experience because they weren’t required to take a test to get into Mexico, but members of their family were double masked. They felt safer as they tested to get back into the country. Kriz said, “we had a good time, but we’re not going to do that again for a long time.”

Kriz and his family took a zipline tour through the jungle. Photo from David Kriz

Madi Hamm, Staff Reporter