The start of a new season

With a new season and a new start coming around the corner, HR sports has a lot lined up. Although there are not as many sports during the winter as there are during spring or fall, it is still a great lineup.

Winter sports include, boys ice hockey, unified basketball, wrestling, boys basketball and girls basketball. 

Last season, the girls basketball team made it to the final four losing to valor. With an impressive 14-3 game winning streak, they are looking for more. “This year we have a very solid team! We have really good returners and some new incoming freshmen that are definitely going to make a great impact,” said Alex Pirog, senior on varsity. “Some goals for us are just to play as a team and give it our all every single practice and game to get the state title,” said Pirog. 

As for the boys basketball team, last season started off on a rocky foot. “Last season wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good. Best year we could’ve had with covid and new coaching,” said Jacob Jones, senior. He believes they have a good team this year and a good shot at making the playoffs. “My goal is to just be a good leader for the team and win as many games as possible,” Jones said. “I think everyone should look out for Sasha and Lezer, they’re some scary basketball players.”

The boys ice hockey team is a co-op sport with Mountain Vista High School. With their first game being on December 3rd, they have a conjoined team. 

The girls swim team has begun training for their season and due to HR not having a swimming pool, the girls are practicing at Northridge Recreation center. “I am not gonna lie, as I am sure was the case with all sports, COVID made last season very different. We had a total of 5 meets, very restricted league and state championships so we were limited in how many team members actually went to the State Meet. No spectators were allowed so we tried to livestream as many of the meets as possible,” said Megan Bartels, senior. As for who to watch out for, Bartels said, “Senior Liza Nollsch, Junior Isabel Flenard and Sophomore Renee Burton. Other strong sophomore swimmers include Emily Smith, Dereka Roney and Leah Margraf.”

Varsity swimmer Renee Burton at A League Finals in 2021.

To find out more about schedules, meets, games, and players, max preps is a website that has all that. Search up Highland Ranch High School, and all the sports teams will show up including all the information about the team.

Amalia SanMillan, Editor in Chief