Highlands Ranch’s opening game for the 2023-2024 season has begun, starting Aug 25, 2023, against Fairview High School,  resulting in Ranch’s first loss of the season, but surely the tides will turn with the new fresh faces on the football team along with returning ones. The game was full of suspense as school spirit reached a new high for the beginning of one of the school’s most fun traditions, football. Football has been a huge part of the school spirit at Highlands Ranch and it only continues to get bigger. The Highlands Ranch marching band performed during the game to hype up our players with our signature music.

The start of the new year however wasn’t exactly the ideal kickoff. The score of the match was 44-3, with Fairview taking the lead. It was a tough match for both sides however Fairview came out on top. Highlands Ranch put up a great fight and did their absolute best. 

Sawyer Kuhn, a senior at Highlands Ranch High School and instrument player in the high-school band was asked the following questions: 

How does playing for the school band feel? 

“It feels good, it’s fun and it supports the school.”

Does playing for the football team and other events increase the overall hype of the game? “It absolutely does and depending on what we’re playing it can have some big effects on the crowd and the cheer team to help motivate the football team.” 

Do you and your bandmates coordinate well? “Yes we coordinate well and it helps us perform. 

Do any of your performances demand physical pressure? “In order to play our instruments and march around we need to be able to withstand physical pressure, so every performance slash practice demands physical pressure.” 

How was the first game in your opinion? “It was pretty good but we could have done better.”

The first game was a rough but great game to start off the season. The players, band, and audience had a great time watching, and playing, really kicking off that ‘Falcon Awesome Spirit’! Hopes are up for the next match but only time will tell.

Photo by Kyle Newman