Tiger King 2- can’t reach heights of past season

Tiger King 2- cant reach heights of past season

The first season of Tiger King was released on March 20, 2020, the beginning of lockdown. Many people like myself spent lockdown watching and rewatching the first season of Tiger King. It quickly became a big hit to audiences, and it took off in memes, with songs even written about it.

Tiger King 2 was released on Nov. 17, 2021. The second season is a follow up to see what everyone is up to and contains five episodes explaining what the cast is up to and the impacts the show has had on their lives.  

Before I watched the show I personally had very high expectations for this second season because of how much I loved the first. I do think that it could turn into a huge failure due to the hype that the first season generated. 

According to ABC news, “He [Joe Exotic] was sentenced in Jan. 2020 to 22 years in federal prison after being convicted of trying to hire two different men to kill Florida animal rights activist Carole Baskin.” 

The cast is very split about their feelings on if Exotic should be in prison or not, or if Exotic should be in the second season at all, and they also change their opinions frequently.  I feel he should be in prison for a while but not as long as his sentence. Upon Exotic’s release he should not be allowed an exotic pet license and a very strict parole. 

Infographic by Jordan Pazos

After watching the second season, I was sort of disappointed. I found that it fails to have purpose. The whole season didn’t have the same feeling as the first season. It feels very forced, and there was really no connection to the first season. 

The second season focused mainly on Carole Baskin, a main character and some say the main antagonist, along with Jeff Lowe and Tim Stark. 

Though I understand it’s difficult to film a show about Exotic while he is in prison, I still feel that the show failed to include him, which if I am being honest, was the only reason I watched the show.

Exotic is currently working with Lowe and Stark in order to be released from prison after Donald Trump failed to pardon him. I feel like the information about who was hiring who for murder has changed so many times that you can’t know what really happened, so Exotic being pardoned wouldn’t really make sense. 

Baskin has been accused of killing her husband or being a part of killing her husband and I feel like she definitely had at least a part in his diaperance. Personally, something feels off about all of the characters in the show and they are all crazy and dangerous people. None of their actions should be taken lightly. 

Overall, the second season wasn’t terrible, it just ceased to live up to the expectations that the first season held. The season felt forced and I feel the show would have been better if they left it with only the first season or waited until Exotic got out.

Jordan Pazos, Staff Reporter