All state choir

HR’s very own students have been selected for Colorado’s All State Choir competition, Kat Bair and others will perform at Buell Theater on Saturday, January 22nd.

The Competition is a three-day event in which the students were selected through a rigorous audition process. “I auditioned in front of a judge,” Said Kat Bair, senior, “I had to sing a song I had practiced, where they paid attention to note accuracy, how the tone sounds, and when I was breathing in the song.”

Students had to sign two songs that had been previously prepared, as well as listen to a song and identify the interval between two notes and the pitch. 

“Students are given a score out of 100 based on their audition and then only the highest scoring singers from the region are selected to participate. It is a true honor to be selected,” said Robert Lane, Choir teacher at HR. 

“I would say that the only other musical competition I have competed in that has been this rigorous was our marching band state competitions,” said Bair. Photo Courtsey of Kat Bair, Cathy White

“What I always tell the students is that they shouldn’t audition if all they care about is making All-State because it is such a competitive audition,” said Lane. 

Bair will be working under Rosephanye Powell, a Professor of Voice at Auburn University and an internationally acclaimed composer of choral music. Starting Thursday, January 20, Bair will head to Denver and begin rehearsals with Powell. Spending the Friday and Saturday rehearsing Bair will be preparing for a performance on Saturday afternoon. 

“I’ve been singing for fun for as long as I can remember,” said Bair. “ Singing influences me by constantly challenging what I’m capable of.” 

Kat Bair has just received the music she will be singing in the choir. “They look like great pieces and I know I will be challenged to do the most professional singing I am capable of. I’m nervous because there is a second audition the weekend of the performance,” said Bair. 

The performance is open to the public, tickets are on sale now and can be purchased in advance or at the door. 

Tessa Brennan, Staff Reporter