Cushing is awarded Coach of the Year award

The boys golf season ended with a major success, with the varsity team making it into the state championship, and Tarek Salem, senior, placing 2nd place overall. But even though the season is over, that doesn’t mean that the successes are also at an end.

Jon Cushing, art teacher and head coach for the boys golf team, has recently been awarded the 2019 Continental League Coach of the Year for boys golf, which is an award that is voted on by league coaches every year. “Even though the award has my name on it, it really is a team award,” said Cushing, “and in addition to recognizing a successful program, I also think that the award reflects the planning, organization and level of excellence I bring to the tournaments we host and preparation of players.” This is the first time Cushing has received this award in his coaching career.

The boys varsity golf team qualifies for the state competition after competing in regionals. Photo courtesy of Jon Cushing

Cushing’s goal as a coach was never to be recognized as a Coach of the Year, but was instead to be the best coach he could be, and bring him and his players success in these tournaments. “It is an achievement I am grateful for – especially coming from my peers, but nothing I strive for annually,” said Cushing.

Zach Milone, Staff Reporter