#1 Falcons vs #2 Raiders to finish 2019 season

The battle between number one Highlands Ranch and number two Regis Jesuit is on Feb. 12, at 5:30 p.m., in the Highlands Ranch gymnasium. With a big crowd expected, there will be media reporting the game.

Highlands Ranch girls varsity basketball team has been known for being on top for many years. Coach Caryn Jarocki has led the girls varsity team for 23 years and now they have to prepare for one of the hardest games this season against number two, Regis Jesuit.

During last year’s matchup against these two teams, Regis Jesuit came out on top of a low scoring game of 37-34 at home. Kasey Neubert, senior, led the Falcons with 12 points, and Jada Moore, junior, led the Raiders with 12 points. With the game being at home this year, the Highlands Ranch community is expecting a better outcome for the Highlands Ranch girls.

However, with Regis Jesuit senior Francesca Belibi being the first girls high school basketball player to dunk in a game in Colorado, Jarocki needs a plan to stop Belibi to keep Highlands Ranch number one in Colorado.

Morgann Kingsford, junior, said, “We need energy. Energy on the bench transfers to the court creating momentum. We need to limit turnovers on transitions and set our feet to take charges on Belibi.”

Last year, the Highlands Ranch student section had a big impact on the game, even though Highlands Ranch didn’t come out on top. Getting inside of Regis Jesuit players’ heads, the student section was able to impact the way Regis’ top scorers performed on the court and created energy for the Falcons.

Dom Dakovich, former barrelman of HR, said, “We need a loud and rambunctious crowd. The girls can beat anyone in the state with the support of their fellow students backing them up.”

With the regular season coming to an end, this game could decide the playoff ranking for both teams, deciding where they play, who they play, and when they play. This could be crucial for the girl’s confidence and momentum entering the playoffs.

Alex Willman, Staff Reporter

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 9.20.46 AM
Comparison between Falcons & Raiders. Graphic by Alex Willman.