Searching for the replacements

Girls team getting excited and ready for Liberty Bell. Photo courtesy of Shutterfly.

As a new season dawns on cross country, the HR girls team looks for new runners to fill in the graduated class. The team that went to state just two years ago is in the process of rebuilding. The team lost graduated runners like Megan Koch, individual qualifier in cross country and track and field, and Bryce Johansen to injury, who currently ranks top ten for sophomores in Colorado in the 800 meter dash.

With the season well underway, the girls team doesn’t look to be competing as well as they have last year with only two girls running sub 23 minute 5k’s. One of those girls happens to be Noelle Harff, junior, and also HR Chronicle staff member. Harff has been with the team for two years now and has an optimistic attitude on herself and the girls team together. “By no means would I say HR is a state qualifying team, but we are still out there every day working hard. The girls team went through a lot of change and ultimately rebuilding. I think the change emphasizes the team’s optimism. It is easy to quit but no one did,” said Harff.

The other girl running alongside Harff is Quinn Hennigar, junior. Hennigar has also been with the team for two years and has dropped more than five minutes on her 5k time.  Hennigar continues to improve, currently running 22:09.

From an outside perspective, Charlie Wells, junior and boys cross country runner, who’s been a long time runner with the team, believes the girls will bounce back. “The tough thing about dealing with teams is that you lose players or runners all the time,” said Wells. “It also takes patience to develop a new and greater team.”

Despite losing many athletes, the girls team has consistent runners that look to improve. With Harff and Hennigar leading the pack, many are following in their tracks. As the season winds down, the team is focused and looking forward to what’s to come.

Zachary Salcido, Online Editor