Boys soccer kicks off the season

To prepare for the upcoming season this fall, the HR Boys Soccer team has had several practices over the summer. The Falcons found that these practices were beneficial to increasing the competitiveness of the team and allowed them to prepare for real game situations. “Scrimmaging, in particular, has given us the chemistry as a team that we have lacked in past years,” said Aden Blake, senior. The soccer team will utilize this training and be prepared for any challenge this season has to offer. 

“I am looking forward to our Fruita Monument game that we are taking a charter bus to,” said Aaron Barnes, junior. One of the most anticipated games for the players will present a bonding opportunity as they spend a long drive getting to the school. 

The Falconsare faced with a couple of challenging games on the horizon. “Every game we play this season is going to be tough, but a team that we have lost to in years past is Regis. So I am super excited about that game,”  said Blake. 

The team is working hard to prepare and not only compete against Regis as a more united front, but they are also striving to play well against many of their rivals. “All the teams have changed a lot from past years, including us, so it’s going to be hard to tell who is going to be good. We know Regis and Valor will be hard because they have always been good in the past,” said Micah Gascho, junior.

Infographic by Madi Hamm

The season has had fewer COVID-19 restrictions during game play, but players still have to be cautious when on the field. “This year is different due to COVID-19 because we still aren’t supposed to shake hands or mingle/talk to friends on other teams after games,” said Blake. Such safety measures make the games less social amongst the players, but many are just glad they are able to play. “COVID-19 isn’t affecting our season at the moment and I hope that continues,“ said Barnes. 

One struggle that has been present are the different regulations amongst the districts. “We do a lot of non-league play in other districts and obviously they will have different rules and regulations about locker rooms and things like that,” said Gascho. The team has quickly adjusted to any of these ever changing COVID-19 procedures to ensure that the season is able to continue without any delays.

This season will be memorable for all of the athletes, but especially for the nearly one third of the team who are seniors. As this is their last season at HR, they are hoping to make this a year to remember. The team is hoping to perform well and will definitely make the most of the time they have together. Blake said, “I will definitely miss all the boys, and friends I’ve made through high school soccer.”

Madi Hamm, Staff Reporter