Walking with a heavy heart

20160924_100855
HR volunteers helping out during the Out of Darkness Walk. PhotoCo: Georgina Quintana

The Out of Darkness Walk has been going on for 10 years. It was started by a parent after her son committed suicide. For the second year in a row, the walk happened at Coors Field because it has become such a large event. 

Shannon Wessels, consumer and family studies teacher at HR, took over the Out of Darkness Walk a couple years into its start. She said, “It’s great to see how much it has grown. The walk helps a lot of people cope with their loss and is a great experience for everyone.” Wessels also said, “I started this because I was touched by the story and when I heard the sponsor left I knew I needed to take it over. It’s a great cause and I’m happy I can be a part of it.” The walk was on September 24th at Coors Field from 10am to 12pm.

Georgina Quintana, spanish teacher at HR helps Wessels. This is her first year being a part of this experience. She said, “The reason I wanted to be a part of this was because mental health is a big deal and should be treated like that.” Depression has become a massive problem in the U.S. and the walk represents that.

The walk is at Coors Field on September 24th. It grew from an HR walk, to a Denver Metro walk. The people walking on the 24th walk with a heavy heart, they walk to remember their loved ones, walk to help, and walk to cope. This is more than a walk, this is more than a two hour event, and this is more than just HR. Quintana said, “If I could tell someone with depression and with thoughts of suicide I would tell them you are not alone. This moment in your life will pass. You are never alone.”

Dominic Dakovich, Staff Reporter