HR’s cosmetology course addition

Through hours of construction inside the HR building during the summer, the cosmetology course has been ready and accessible for students since the start of the school year. The course consists of a 2 year commitment that focuses on hair, esthetician and nail technician skills; engaging students in 1500 hours of preparation for future real world experiences.

Students learning in the PM class. Photo by Kirstie Ko

The inspiration for the program began with difficulties when it came to transferring students to programs outside of the district, as well as the idea of adding Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses. 

Kerith Stuebinger, assistant principal, said, “Dr. Page, Mrs. Larsen, and myself were talking about adding CTE courses, specifically about trade skills. Construction, auto welding, and cosmetology.”

DCSD gained the funds towards this cosmetology course addition through a majority of voters approving the mill levy override, a ballot measure that asks voters living in a school district boundary to approve the collection of additional “mills” on property taxes above what is allowed in the state of Colorado.

Salon in the back of the cosmetology classroom. Photo by Kirstie Ko

Mark Mitchell, cosmetology teacher, has taught for 19 years at different schools across Denver. This school year he looks forward to expanding cosmetology and watching the students grow. 

Within the boundaries of cosmetology which includes hair, skin and nails, there’s more to styling than it seems on the surface. “We learn chemistry, electricity, anatomy and other aspects. Many people tend to think that we just play with hair, but there’s a lot to it,” said Mitchell.

Bailey Januzzi, senior, enjoys getting into the sciences behind cosmetology and learning how to use the theory into coloring hair. “I really like science so it was fun to learn the different ph’s and all the basic sciences behind it,” said Januzzi.

Some students taking the course have big goals for themselves concerning cosmetology in the future, making the class an important aspect of their academic career. “I’ve always pictured something bigger,”  said Ivori Glass, junior, “like owning my own business and a few salons.”

Kirstie Ko, Online Editor