Upcoming Big Movies of 2024

Top 10 Christmas songs

With Christmas swiftly approaching, there are many ways to get into the Christmas spirit. One of the best ways to make it really feel like Christmas time is to listen to the music that defines the holiday. I set out to rank my favorite Christmas songs, which was a very difficult task indeed. Now, lets get to the list.

#10. Let it Snow! By Dean Martin

Just making the list is Let it Snow By Dean Martin. This song was originally released in 1945, and it was written during a heat wave in California. Martin was imagining a winter scene he could escape to. This song, while a little repetitive, still does a great job of setting a comfy winter scene with snow outside while you are wrapped up and warm inside. There are songs with better and more creative lyrics further down the list, but this is still a Christmas classic I always enjoy hearing around the holidays.

Photo courtesy of Discogs

#9. You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch (1966)

Photo courtesy of Pixy

This song was sung by the deep and powerful, but somehow majestic, voice of Thurl Ravencroft in 1966 for the release of a 26 minute short film “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” Ravencroft was not originally given credit for the song, and people at first assumed the voice they were hearing was Boris Karlov. Eventually, Dr. Seuss apologized and announced it was Ravencroft who was the voice in the original song. While this song never directly mentions Christmas, and in fact only dishes insults at the Grinch, it still is an awesome tune and a Christmas classic, and deserves a spot on this list.

#8. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) By Nat King Cole (1946)

This was an insanely popular song when it was released, and although not many people actually roast chestnuts on an open fire for Christmas, this line is immediately recognized and connected to this Christmas classic. The album he released was the best selling Christmas album of the 1960s, and this song was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1974, according to Good Housekeeping Institute. 

Photo courtesy of Amazon

#7. Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley (1957)

Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic
Photo courtesy of AllMusic

This song was originally written by Billy Hayes and Jay W. Johnson and first recorded by Doyle O’Dell in 1948. Of course, the only version anyone really remembers was sung by Elvis Presley and released as a part of his massively successful Christmas album in 1957. I know I had to include one song from that album, and this is my favorite of the bunch about love and celebrating Christmas without those you love. It’s just that Elvis is one of the best artists of all time. Not much more can be said about this awesome song than that.

#6. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Frank Sinatra (1957)

We go from one incredibly famous singer to another with my next pick, released by Frank Sinatra in 1957. This song was released in his Jolly Christmas album, and is an amazing Christmas tune. I love Sinatra’s vocals, and he is doing exactly what he says he is doing in the title of the song: wishing you a merry little Christmas.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Remastered) - YouTube
Photo courtesy of YouTube

#5.  Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bing Crosby (1991)

Bing Crosby – Santa Claus Is Coming to Town Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
Photo courtesy of Genius

The first and original version of this Christmas classic was recorded way back on October 24th, 1934. According to Wikipedia, this song has been sung by over 200 artists over the years, a testament to its incredible popularity. My favorite version comes from Bing Crosby, however.  This incredibly successful singer has recorded more than 1,600 different songs in his career, including a lot of Christmas songs. He sang this classic in 1991, and it is easily the best version of any that I have listened too. He just sounds like Christmas to me, and his voice has always fit the song the best.

#4. Deck the Halls by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes

This classic tune is the oldest one of the bunch so far, as it was originally a Welsh New Year’s carol published way back in 1794, and originally contained a warning about not spending more than you can afford during the holidays. According to Mama Lisa’s World, the English version was published in 1862 by Thomas Oliphant. The best version comes from this group, produced in the 1970’s. It’s a classic tune with a classic jingle to go with. A wonderful song for the holidays!

Deck the Halls with Lyrics | Christmas Songs and Carols - YouTube
Photo courtesy of YouTube

#3. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams (1963)

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - YouTube
Photo courtesy of YouTube

It is almost impossible to rank these songs any more, because the last 3 on my list are really so close. But I really do love the lyrics of this song, released by Andy Williams in 1963 as part of his Christmas album. I just really also feel like Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, but this is just such a classic. The feelings it evokes are something truly special, and William’s voice is perfect for the song.

#2. Sleigh Ride by The Ronettes (1983)

I love the beat of this holiday song, and I feel like it is the most “pop” Christmas song out there. I am all for it and will never tire of listening to this masterpiece. It really almost makes you seem you are on a wonderful sleigh ride and it a great way to get into the Christmas spirit. It was first sung by the Ronettes in 1983, and although it has been sung by other artists since, no one can touch the original.

Sleigh Ride by The Ronettes on Amazon Music - Amazon.com
Photo curtesy of Amazon

#1. It’s Beginning to look a lot Like Christmas by Michael Bublé (2011)

Michael Bublé - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas [Official HD  Audio] - YouTube
Photo courtesy of YouTube

My favorite Christmas song, by a mere and almost impossibly slim margin, is also the newest song on the list. This song was originally written in 1951, but this 2011 version is the best. Everything is perfect in this song, from Bublé’s beautiful and soothing voice, to the music in the background, to the feel goog feeling it evokes-it all comes together so well and creates a modern Christmas masterpiece. Also, this is a Christmas song you can start to play during October when the snow starts falling, which earns the song some extra bonus points as well.

By Lucas Johnson, Staff Reporter