A Christmas to Remember

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year” -Andy Williams.  This holiday season we know its hard to decide where to spend it, whether it be in your own state or out of the country. Get ready for the top 5 Christmas Destinations. From simple carolers to grand parades these places make you feel as though you are in the North Pole.

1. New York City, New York- The Big Apple transforms into a winter wonderland during the holidays. From window shopping along Fifth Avenue to seeing the Nutcracker ballet in Lincoln Center, there’s much to do in NYC you’ll need a whole year to do it all. “Nothing better than a ballet in New York City! The Nutcracker was amazing. Making you feel classy and sophisticated” ,(yelp review 2014).

1. Miami, Florida- Home to Santa’s Enchanted Forest (world’s largest Christmas- themed amusement park). Around one million people visit each year to admire three million lights, gaze upon a 92- foot Christmas tree,  taking a stroll through Mistletoe Lane, or watching Santa ride a motorcycle in a cage. Thrill seekers and Christmas lovers will feel right at home in Miami.

1. Durango, Colorado- Located in Southwest Colorado you can hop aboard the Polar Express steam train. During the ride families can sip hot cocoa, sing christmas carols and even visit Santa at the North Pole! Ticket fares start at $30.00 depending on which train car you want to ride in. “Absolute MUST DO in Durango! You feel as though you stepped right into the book. With a splendid 3 ½ hour ride and a spectacular scenery you never want to get off”, (tripadvisor review 2012).

1. New Orleans, Louisiana- Home to Mardi Gras, also celebrates Christmas in a big way. People of all ages come near and far to sing Christmas carols by candlelight in Jackson Square. City Park, Celebration in the Oaks is one of the most breathtaking holiday lights festivals in the country. City Park’s famous oaks are covered in thousands of twinkling lights throughout 25 acres of the park. It’s New Orleans tradition of nightly entertainment, pictures with Santa, dancing lights, laser shows, and amusement rides. Tickets sell fast at $8 a person due to the popularity of the attraction, so buy your tickets in advance.

1. Woodstock, Vermont- A small town of 3,000 in central Vermont make you feel as though you are in Medieval Times. With equestrian parades, yule- log fires, glowing lights, and a crafts fair. The townspeople as well decorate with traditional Medieval decors to keep the theme alive. Making Woodstock a truly picture-perfect place.

Buy your tickets now as they get expensive during the holidays, and if you aren’t already packing your bags you are missing all the holiday fun. The sooner you travel to one of these destinations the more delightful your Christmas will be. Have fun on this holiday break, sometimes being at home with the ones you love is the best destination of all.

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 11.32.00 AM

Abby Gallarzo, Guest Reporter