The Q-man Classic

This quote by Q-man is located on the wall near the front entrance of the school. PhotoCo: Lara Mathews

On August 23rd, hundreds of HR students ran the Q-man Classic. The four year tradition began with an idea from former HR students. Dominick Douglass and Colin Vest founded this run, and Douglass has begun teaching here at HR.

In 2009, a sophomore named Quinton Sanford was doing one of his favorite hobbies, running, when he collapsed and died on the way to the hospital. In tribute to him HR hosts the Q-man race annually.

“We thought that other people should try to emulate how he lived,” said Douglass, “We wanted to leave a legacy for a student who was a model citizen and a model friend.”

The funds from Q-man are donated to a charity called Autism Speaks. Quinton himself had autism, and often spoke highly of Autism Speaks.

Katie Clifford, who organized the Q-Man for the past few years, says that “Q-man classic is a fantastic opportunity to see students come together and do something good.”

“Everyone loved Q-man,” said Jerry Goings, HR principal, “it was devastating when he died.”

Jade Zimmerman, Staff Reporter