Becoming College Athletes

Signing Day PhotoCo: Alex Mickus
The athletes that signed.  PhotoCo: Alex Mickus
The athletes that signed.
PhotoCo: Alex Mickus

In the commons on Wednesday, February 2nd, seven HR students signed to play college athletics on scholarship. This is the second signing day this year, and a total of 12 HR students are going to play college athletics next year on scholarship.

According to ESPN, signing day is always held across the country on the first Wednesday in February. The first signing at HR took place earlier this year, where another five athletes signed.

Colorado is starting to have bigger and better college signee classes. Forty-six football players went to a Division I school, the highest level of college athletics, according to CHSAA (Colorado High School Activities Association). Hundreds more signed to play in different divisions, and more athletes are playing other sports.

Highlands Ranch’s twelve commits have a wide diversity, based on location of their specific college and their sport. On Wednesday’s signing day, there was a great diversity between the student-athletes. They range from Hannah Coburn, playing field hockey at Bryant University in Rhode Island, to Matt Helton, playing football at Presentation College in South Dakota. The other signees include Austin Davis (Lacrosse, Adams State), Joe Quatrochi (Lacrosse, Adams State), Jenny Plummer (Soccer, Seattle University), Macy Kreutz (Track and Field/Cross Country, Colorado State), and Connor Turnage (Track and Field, Nebraska.)

These student-athletes signed their national Letters of Intent (LOI) on Wednesday. These LOIs declare an athlete’s intention to play college athletics on scholarship at the particular school that they are wishing to intend, according to eHow. The LOI does not guarantee a student-athlete playing time or a spot on the squad.

Becoming an athlete in college is the culmination of years of hard work. Many athletes have been playing and practicing their particular sport for years.

Signee Hannah Coburn has been playing field hockey for four years, and said “I believe that God has given me the passion for hockey, and I want to perform to my fullest potential. “

Signing day is the end of a long, hard road for many athletes, and now they will enjoy going to college for free.

-Alex Mickus, Staff Reporter

Signing Day PhotoCo: Alex Mickus
Signing Day
PhotoCo: Alex Mickus