Girls Basketball team ends season ranked 4th in state

Basketball is one of the most competitive sports in the state of Colorado at the high school level, and as the regular season comes to an end, the top 48 teams from all over the state are placed into the playoff bracket for the 2019-2020 season. 

The 21-6 girls basketball team swept their competition this year. Similar to the past, the girls won a majority of their games by huge deficits, beating teams by at least 20 or more points in multiple games throughout the regular season. They also experienced very close games against #6 Regis Jesuit High School, and #1 Cherry Creek High School, in which they lost both.

The girls had three other losses at the beginning of the year against two teams from California with a final score of 42-62 against La Jolla Country Day High School, and a loss of 62-45 to Cathedral Catholic High School. Additionally, the girls lost in a close overtime battle against Upper Dublin High School 47-48.

This season, Payton Muma, junior point guard, led the team with an average of 15.4 points per game, and Taylor Ray, sophomore small forward, right behind her, averaging 13.8 points per game. 

With a season record of 21-6, and a league record of 9-1, the lady Falcons were ranked number 5 in the state of Colorado going into playoffs. Beating Chatfield High School in the first round 67-18, Fairview High School in the second round 48-25, and finally, getting revenge against Regis Jesuit in the great 8, 50- 44. This brought their rank to #4 in the state before facing off against #1, Cherry Creek High School, in the Final Four.

The girls came up short in the Final Four game, losing 53-42 against #1 Cherry Creek. This also pinpointed the end of their 2019-2020 season. Coach Caryn Jarocki said, “I’m very proud of the team. Most of the girls haven’t played at the varsity level and have really stepped up into this role for the team.”

Alex Willman, Staff Reporter

Payton Muma, #1, heads to the bench during timeout. Photo by Aubrey Click