Heres what’s next in the Democratic primaries

infographic
National map of how the Democratic primary stands as of March 15. Infographic by Anthony Kargoll. Source: PBS NewsHour

On March 3, Super Tuesday leveled out the playing field in the Democratic primary. As of now, there are now only three major contenders left in the Democratic primary race. Senator Bernie Sanders, Representative Tulsi Gabbard, and the new frontrunner, Former Vice President Joe Biden. Two major endorsements from former candidates Amy Klobuchar and Pete Buttigieg helped Biden win big on Super Tuesday.

Looking past Super Tuesday, the most recent primaries on March 10 was a massive success for the Biden campaign. Of the 6 states voting on Tuesday, Biden was able to win 4 states, including the delegate-rich state of Michigan. Sanders, on the other hand, only won the state of North Dakota. The state of Washington, with 94% of the votes counted, is still too close to call, as of now.

“Thank you, thank you for tonight. [It was a] good night tonight,” Biden said on March 10 in a video addressed to his supporters. Along with his major wins on Super Tuesday, Biden has 890 delegates to his name and is the frontrunner for this race.

Not far behind him is Senator Bernie Sanders.  Sanders, despite only winning a single state in the recent primaries, currently has 736 delegates. In a campaign update on March 11, Sanders reiterated that he would be debating Biden on Sunday. “Last night obviously was not a good night for our campaign… I very much look forward to the debate with my friend Joe Biden,” Sanders said.

The Democratic Primary is essentially a two-person race at this point, between Biden and Sanders. Those two are the only candidates to qualify for the debate this Sunday. While Tulsi Gabbard may still be officially in the race, her two delegates (both picked up in American Samoa), put her in a very distant third place.

Later on, the two frontrunners will debate in Washington D.C. on Sunday, March 15, in front of no live audience (due to concerns regarding the Coronavirus). Then, on March 17th, Arizona, Florida, Illinois, and Ohio will vote. Georgia and Puerto Rico will round out the month of March. April will see two major primary elections, with New York and Pennsylvania voting on April 28th, among other primaries. All in all, this race is still far from over.

Anthony Kargoll, Staff Reporter