Boys basketball more than doubles their score in the final quarter

D9308054-B042-466C-9A83-7A0D4281ECFE
Ryker Cisarik, senior small forward, attempts a free throw. Photo by Taylor Means

[wpvideo mCa7ISDJ]

As Wish Week ramped up with a slew of different sporting events and fundraisers, the boys varsity basketball team lost to Chaparral High School on Friday, Jan. 31. The final score was 49-46, with HR more than doubling their score in the fourth quarter.

A key aspect of this game was its connection to Wish Week. This year’s Make-A-Wish kid is Carson, an 11 year old battling leukemia. Carson’s favorite color is blue, so the student section was filled with different shades of blue the night of the game. 

Half time also consisted of a miracle minute for Carson, which is when the school tries to raise as much spare change as they can in only 60 seconds. The spectators were able to collect a total of $1,048.38. Lillie Lynch, sophomore, said, “Wish Week games are more fun, especially when we get to help make Carson’s dream come true.” All the money raised will go toward Carson’s wish of going to the Bahamas.

Additionally, fundraiser games attract more of an audience than usual. This can affect the overall atmosphere of the game. Brent Murray, assistant coach, said, “The more people and the more energetic it is at the game, the better. It made the other team more nervous and livened up the gym.” 

It is possible to see even more of Carson’s impact when talking to the players. Lathrop said, “I think we played harder for Carson. He gave us the motivation to do what we can for kids like him.”

Around this time last year, Chaparral won against HR 66-56 and ended the season being ranked third in Colorado; HR ranked 30. As of Jan. 30, 2020, HR had won two of their four league games, while Chaparral won two of their three games. That allowed for HR to be ranked seventh and Chaparral ranked sixth in the CHSAA 5A/4A Continental League, heading into Friday’s game. 

The game started off low scoring, with the first quarter ending with HR in the lead, 5-4. Then, as the game progressed, Chaparral was ahead 9 points by the end of the second quarter, 19-10. During this time Konor Lathrop, senior power forward, made a three point shot.

After half time, the score for both teams dramatically increased. Chaparral was still ahead after the third quarter, 35-18, but HR caught up. In total, HR scored 28 points in the final quarter, bringing the final score to 49-46, Chaparral. The HR players made more baskets in those last 8 minutes than any other time in the game. 

Some of those players include, Ryker Cisarik, senior small forward, Tristan Hurdle, senior shooting guard, and Lathrop. Cisarik scored 22 points, Hurdle scored 14 points, and Lathrop scored 9. Cisarik said, “We started off slow and couldn’t make a shot. With that being said, I am proud of how we battled back from a major point deficit to make it a close game.”

Taylor Means, Editor in Chief