The road to nationals

The+Falcons+Cheer+team+performs+their+routine+at+state.+
The Falcons Cheer team performs their routine at state.
The Falcons cheer team performs their routine at state. Photo by Zach Salcido

With the season winding down and a tenth place performance at state, the team looks to finish off strong at nationals in February 6-10. Seniors Alyssa Miller and Reilly Forshey recap on what their final season was like.

When asked how the team felt going into the state competition, Forshey said, “I think we were feeling a little nervous since we were going into it with some injuries, and we had a bit of a stressful practice”. Ava Taylor, senior, was one of the cheerleaders on the team with an injured wrist.

Although unable to make the finals as a team, Miller said, “We did the best we could have based on the previous week”.

Even with a tough week at state, the team had big moments in their season to propel them forward. “Our biggest moment was hitting our routine at Rock Canyon at the beginning of the season,” Miller said. “It really boosted our confidence and set the season off really well.” 

While a big moment might have been the strong start, Forshey mentions the impact a bid to state had on their outlook. “I think the biggest moment for us was winning a bid to nationals because that was one of our biggest goals going into the season,” Forshey said. 

Despite a positive view to finish off the season, both seniors believed there was more that could have been done to improve their outcome. 

Forshey said, “The only thing I would change is some of the stunting difficulty. We could have placed better against some of the other teams since that was the only point difference we had a lot of the time.” 

While Forshey’s opinion was more routine-based, Miller believed a change in practice could have improved the team’s season. 

“I would have changed our practices by making them more structured and based around every athlete’s needs,” Miller said. “Also, to add more ways for us to heal our bodies through therapy and conditioning.” 

Yet, with all the downs the team might have faced from injuries to points, Miller said, “I think our season went super well, and I think with this month’s practice, nationals will be our best performance.” 

Zach Salcido, Staff Reporter