HR films a commercial for Head and Shoulders

Head and Shoulders, a shampoo brand, offered HR a chance to be in a ten second commercial during the 2020 Super Bowl. On Friday, Oct. 4, the commercial was filmed before the homecoming football game. 

The plan for the commercial was to have the football team shout “Head and”, to which the students would then respond “Shoulders.” Some of the students who were in the stands not only said their part, but also held signs or bottles of shampoo in the air. One sign was a giant picture of the Head and Shoulders bottle, one said “Shoulders,” and the last sign was a picture of Troy Polamalu, former Pittsburgh Steelers strong safety. Polamalu recently starred in a Head and Shoulders commercial. 

“It was truly exciting to witness and I can’t wait to see the final product,” Darren Withey, athletic director, said. “ We have awesome students and staff.” Withey said HR got anonymously picked to be in this competition.

Scott Mortimer, Barrel Man, was a big part in the commercial as well. Throughout the whole commercial, his job was to stand and have his hair washed by the Falcon, and then at the very end, the Falcon dumped a bucket of water on his head. Withey said, “I thought the commercial went awesome. Such a tremendous amount of pride and spirit represented from the Falcon Nation.”

The students practiced their part of the commercial for 30 minutes until the football team came out. Since the team had to get ready for the game, they had one practice round, then they shot the commercial. They successfully shot the commercial with the football team right before they went and started practicing. 

The final version of the commercial has to be submitted by Oct. 11 as it is a nationwide contest. Head and Shoulders will go through all of the submissions and determine whose commercial will be shown in the Super Bowl commercial. Withey said, “I love our odds and hope to find out as soon as possible.”

Carlynn Claypool, Community Chair

Students preparing to practice their part in the commercial. Photo by Carlynn Claypool