How the FCCLA sets up for Trick or Treat Street

FCCLA is a well-known non-profit national student organization that helps young men and women become leaders and to address many important issues through Family and Consumer Sciences Education, like societal or family issues. Usually, FCCLA takes on Trick or Treat Street by themselves, but the event itself has gotten so big to the point that they are assisted by CTSO students (Career and Technical Student Organizations).

Every year, the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) hosts a Halloween event called Trick or Treat Street at the school in order to help promote safe trick or treating for kids between the ages of 1 year to 10 years old. This also allows for kids to check out different clubs too, since each club will have a planned theme and game for the children to play. 

The FCCLA’s plan for setting up for their event is a somewhat difficult process sometimes. Shannon Wessels, FACS teacher and adviser of FCCLA, said, “We work to help get all of the clubs signed up, putting them in locations around the school so the kids can go around and find them and play carnival games.” Once the clubs sign up, they can choose what game to host for the room that they’re in. 

“What makes ours [high school] different from other schools is that we have more of a game component for the kids to earn candy. This makes it more interactive where the kids have to do something for the candy,” said Wessels. The FCCLA focuses more on interaction than decoration, which allows for the children to become motivated to earn the candy and treats at the carnival games. 

Setting up each club and activity can be pretty difficult sometimes. Allison Demith, vice president of FCCLA and  sophomore, said, “So the process can be extremely hard sometimes because it’s very difficult to find time for everyone to come together and actually meet since everyone has different schedules.” Each CTSO student will set up in a different hallway, and will greet the parents and children from three doors in separate places.

They also ask to help donate to Hide in Plain Sight charity, which helps financially support those in poverty or homelessness. If you are interested in going to this event, then come by the school around 3:00pm to 10:00pm on Oct. 29.

Jaysen Anderson, Staff Reporter

01fc1a0d3a9bc4063ce329911ea18167626363554a.jpg
Kids visiting one of the many booths at the Trick or Treat Street event. Photo courtesy of Allison Demith