Making headlines one lane at a time

Zach Salcido leading off for the boys 4×800 race. Photo courtesy of Michael de Guzman.

Every afternoon at 3:00, you will see some of Highlands Ranch fastest and most dedicated athletes out there. As the season kicks off, athletes are pushing limits, running faster, throwing farther and jumping higher.

“The first meet of the year we had a number of people who broke their personal records from the year before, so it was overall a good start,” said Louis Krauss, track coach and social studies teacher at HR. Krauss mainly coaches sprints, long jump, triple jump and more.

“If you want to join track you can. Just come out soon. Those who didn’t come out this year should come next year,” said Krauss. Track is a no-cut sport so anyone can join and make a team.

“I love being out there with my coaches and friends,” said Josh Klein, freshman who runs the 100m sprint and 4×100. “I play football so doing track is a good way for me to have fun and stay in shape and get faster.”

The Highlands Ranch Track and Field program started in 1987 when the school opened. There have been and currently are many amazing athletes that have broken records and been the best of the best. Former student Eleanor Fulton was second in the nation and had an all-Colorado record for the one mile run in 2011. Bryce Johansen is currently on many leaderboards of top-ten of all time. She is currently second in the women’s 400m dash, 7th in the 200m and more. There are many athletes who did track at Highlands Ranch that can be seen on the HRHS Track and Field website.

“I’ve met a lot of new friends and getting to know people that I wouldn’t have the opportunity to know before,” said Samantha Romero, freshman, who runs the 2 mile. “You should definitely join track, because if you don’t, you might regret it, and it’s a really good opportunity. If you don’t like it you don’t have to come back the next year, but you should at least try it out because who knows, you might really like it.”

Track meets are usually every Thursday and Saturday depending on the team and state is the second week of May from the 16th to the 18th.

Amalia SanMillan, Guest Reporter