Boys lacrosse strives for league championship

Braden Lowe protects the ball as the team looks to score a goal. Photo by Kara Lyons

The winter sports season has come to an end which means a fresh start for the spring sports, one of them being lacrosse. Owning a current record of 8-3, the lacrosse team is starting off strong to make it to where they want to be: league champions.

TK Hammond, senior midfielder and captain, said he is really looking forward to taking home the title of league champions.

Already the lacrosse team has strengths working for them this season. Hammond said, “We have a really strong defense, and have a couple 4 year starters on defense and offense as well. Our defense has been playing together for a long time and I think they are doing pretty good.”

Though, the road to becoming league champions is not easy and will take more than just their strengths to earn them that title. It takes time and practice.

“We start every season with the same goals of making the playoffs and winning a league title. The difference each year is analyzing how realistic that is with the talent we have and the talent we’ll face,” said Brent Adams, head coach of the varsity lacrosse team.

For this season, an obstacle they face is the absence of some amazing defensive midfielders that were seniors last year which leaves those crucial spots open for other players, according to Hammond. He said, “We’ve had to have new people come fill their roles.” With spots on varsity, it can create competition within the team and really encourage underclassmen to step up their game and that is what Adams looks for.

To finish on top of the league, a strategy is needed. For HR, it is a very simple one. “We want to play fast in the middle of the field and win the ground ball battles. Offensively, we need to value the ball and have lengthy possessions. Defensively, we need to play as a unit and communicate effectively,” said Adams.

Along with a strategy, teams need a leadership role that will help guide the team. Adams said, “Our captains and senior leadership is second to none and this team is very fortunate to have this group leading the charge.”

Throughout the season, the captains of teams set expectations and remind players of   their objective. For Hammond, he said, “As captains we call them out sometimes if they’re goofing around, but we still try and have fun even though we are trying to be serious and win a lot of games.”

This guidance can assist the team as they go against their next opponents, especially HR’s rival, Rock Canyon, whose current record is 9-2. That game will be held at Shea Stadium on May 3 at 6pm.

Hammond said, “I think this season we will do better than last season, make it to playoffs, win a few games in there, and hopefully win league [because] the seniors and sophomores on offense have started to make goals and create offense. And for defense, throughout the year they always get better which makes the offense better.”

Sticking to the strategy, using strengths to their advantage, and both sides working together will help them this season, and that is why Adams said, “I truly believe in this group and I think we’re going to do great things this year.”

Kara Lyons, Guest Reporter