Captain Marvel falls short of great

AFDW Airmen celebrated the U.S. Air Force 71st birthday by attending a special live screening of Captain Marvel at the National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution, hosted by Good Morning America Sep. 18, 2018. As the first female character to headline a Marvel franchise, Capt. Carol Danvers (actress Brie Larson) exemplifies the barrier-breaking spirit found in every generation of Airmen going back to 1947. (United States Air Force photo by 2d Lt Jessica Cicchetto)(Released)

Captain Marvel, the latest film in the MCU saga, tells the story of the origin of the appropriately named Captain Marvel. The movie released March 8 of this year and has almost achieved 1 billion dollars in box office revenue. The film stars Brie Larson (Captain Marvel or Carol Danvers), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), Jude Law (Yon-Rogg), and Ben Melanson (Talos).

Like every Marvel movie where the superheroes aren’t fighting each other, Captain Marvel tells the rise of the superhero. We get to see Danvers go from a powerful fighter to an even more powerful fighter as she unlocks the powers inside her. We also get the origin story of Nick Fury, founder of the Avengers, and his relation to Danvers.

To put it simply, I didn’t enjoy the movie. It seemed like the same movie as every other movie Marvel has put out. By this, I mean the movie felt bland and uninspired; it seemed more like it was setting up Captain Marvel’s role in the new Avengers, than a standalone movie worth watching. I felt as if I could have just read about it online and saved $15 and two hours of my time.

Brie Larson stays stagnant as a character through the film, and I never saw a development in her character. Put this with the fact that the story is uninspired, and doesn’t evolve beyond its basic premise of Danvers finding out who she really is, and you have Captain Marvel.

Captain Marvel does some things right, one of which being the first Marvel movie with a female lead. The strongest asset is the humor and wit it offers. I honestly found myself laughing out loud in the theatre, and the humor doesn’t rely on previous Marvel lore. As always, the movie has stunning visuals and a score from Pinar Toprak to back it up.

This is where the good parts of the movie end though. Unless you’re a die hard fan of Marvel movies, I would give Captain Marvel a pass. The movie is slow to start and doesn’t offer much depth in its characters. Save your money and time, and instead wait for the new Avengers.

Jack Stilwell, Staff Reporter

untitled-5c-20i_38228862-2.png
People around the school give their opinion. Infographic By Jack Stilwell