“Leaving Neverland” Review

frederick-tubiermont-1191038-unsplash
The music of Michael Jackson lives on. Photo by Frederick Tubiermont.

The thrilling dance moves and a smooth criminal; two of the things most commonly heard about the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. However, with the new documentary “Leaving Neverland”, which aired on HBO March 3 and 4 in two parts, pedophile might be a new name floating around. The documentary surrounds the story of two men, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, who were former child companions of Jackson and alleged victims of Jackson’s sexual abuse.

Robson was just a five year old child dancer and fan of Jackson when the two met. Robson states that the abuse began just a few years later as Jackson continued to create space between the boys and their families. The documentary goes further in depth of their relationship showing only footage of children and Jackson together.

Safechuck was not as big of a fan as Robson; however, when cast in Jackson’s Pepsi commercial, the family and child became closer. The documentary shows how quickly the family fell into Jackson’s generosity and care for Safechuck. Safechuck was much older than Robson when the abuse began. Safechuck trembled at the box of jewelry Jackson gave him as a child. In the box included the ring, which Jackson gave to him in their fake marriage.

The documentary continues to look into other relationships Jackson had, including one involving a child with cancer who accused Jackson of molesting him and offering him alcohol. Jackson was acquitted of those charges in 2005.

Jackson’s family has protested the documentary saying the men are “admitted liars”, according to CNN. Safechuck and Robson were under oath when testifying in Jackson’s trial in 2005 and had stated that Jackson had never abused or molested them.

“Leaving Neverland” has shed more light on Jackson and has had serious impacts on his reputation as radio stations have started pulling his music off the air. Consequently, public figures are beginning to turn their backs to the King of Pop.

The documentary is well-produced with plenty of facts to back up the accusations. Jackson has been such a major influence to people and artists all around the world. Many believe in Jackson’s innocence even after watching the documentary. I recommend watching the documentary to create a new perspective and to judge for yourself whether Michael Jackson is “bad”.

Zachary Salcido, Online Editor