Diversity Club : A new club that brings the community together

Zoe Siegel on a trip to DC with the Anti-Defamation League (the founder of No Place For Hate) Photo courtesy of Zoe Siegel 

Zoe Siegel, junior and a member of the Cherry Creek Diversity Conference, has joined forces with Georgina Quintana, Spanish teacher, and started a new club at HR this year called Diversity Club.

Siegel was able to take her passion and implement her dream into her reality, spreading the word throughout the school by encouraging her peers, and anyone interested in spreading the appreciation of diversity, to join the community. 

“Building school culture is very important and makes everyone come together and feel like a community,” Siegel said. “The big picture behind the club is educating people about the diversity we have in our school and how we can use it to make our culture more positive.”

“We, as a club, try and provide activities for homerooms to do, that both inform about diversity and appreciate it in different forms,” said Lindsay Engelbert, junior and a member of Diversity Club.

Diversity Club plans on creating a bigger impact starting next year with the help of Kelly Corr, administrative dean and activities director, as it is a stepping stone in order to initiate a “No Place for Hate” within HR.

“No Place for Hate is an organization focused on ending and preventing bigotry in all forms,” said Siegel. “They provide a framework in schools to combat bias, bullying, and hatred.”

The organization not only empowers students, staff, and family members to take a stand against discrimination, but it also creates a school of unity.

Members of the club welcome anyone and everyone who wants to join and make a difference. The steps to joining are easy as all you have to do is communicate with Siegel or Quintana.

Engelbert said, “I am a part of Diversity Club because I believe that not a lot of people talk about diversity or know what it is or what it can be. I wanted to be able to help with that process in informing and overall creating a better school culture aware of diversity.”

Abhipsha Shrestha, Staff Reporter