Mock Trial arguing to the fullest

4075233002_2fa2a36b6a_b
Students present their cases and compete to prove their side as more competent and the correct side for the jury. Photo courtesy of Flickr

Today’s society is all about arguments. Everyone argues about at least one thing on a daily basis, whether it’s political, or you’re just trying to prove to your stubborn friend that you’re right and they’re wrong. The point is that people argue daily. But for some people who really enjoy arguing, and are looking into law for their future, then Mock Trial is a great place to start.

Chris Page, principal and coach of the Highlands Ranch Mock Trial team, has been coaching for a grand total of 11 years, four of those years belonging to Highlands Ranch. “Mock Trial is essentially a club where you practice law, and it’s a mini-play where there are attorneys and witnesses,” said Page. “And you act out a court case like something you’d see in ‘Law and Order’.”

Mock Trial has been up and running for four years now at HR and every year a graduate has moved on to college and joined a Mock Trial team, according to Page.

“I feel as though most people view Mock Trial as something only students interested in law would do,” said Page. “But anyone can do it. Not interested in research and just want to be difficult with people? Be a witness.”

There are also plenty of beneficial opportunities for student participants, such as legal scholarship offers, law scholarship offers, a graduation cord, and even a varsity letter.

According to the Colorado Mock Trial website, there is a minor preseason tournament called the Providence Cup that can serve as a prep for the main season, and in the main season there are also state and regional competitions. In these big tournaments, participants can compete in regionals, qualify to go to state, and even qualify to compete in a national competition.

“Mock Trial is a great choice for any student who enjoys winning arguments, likes speech and debate, and enjoys conducting research on real life conflicts,” said Page.

For any students that wish to join the team for the season starting in November of the next school year, just let either Page or Matthew Foster, social studies teacher, know and they’ll put new participants’ names on the mailing list for registration. Meetings and practices are on Mondays and Thursdays after school from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Mock Trial Infographic
Infographic by Zach Milone

Zach Milone, Staff Reporter