Football season comes to a close

The football regular season came to a close against Valor in a 25-15 loss. The HR football team ended the regular season with a 3-7 record, and the team snuck into playoffs, set to play Doherty. Coming out with a 28-7 win allowed the team to move on to the 2nd round of playoffs for the first time in a long time.

The second round of playoffs took place on Nov. 9 against Columbine. Back in 2017, Columbine knocked HR out of the playoffs with a score of 45-14. In 2018, Columbine entered the game with a 11-0 record and HR with a 4-7 record.

The game ended in a 47-7 loss for the HR team.  With the season at an end, Derek Davies, sophomore and varsity player, said, “I had a ton of fun this season hanging out with a lot of my friends, and it’s sad to see the season end, but we are all excited for next year.”

When asking Davies about what was his favorite memory of the season, he said, “We made lots of great memories, but my favorite was probably the first playoff game because the energy was so electric, and it was just awesome to see it all come together on the field.”

Ending with a final record of 4-8 and the first playoff win in many years, the season could be looked at differently by each player. Ricardo Leal, offensive lineman coach, said, “The season went okay. We had a new coach in the building, and it takes a while for the  chemistry to be there. We all have lots of faith in coach Trahan and we are excited to see how the younger guys can step into varsity roles.”

The team will be losing 17 seniors to graduation. Leal said, “We are losing a lot of talent to graduation, but we have a good set of young guys we know will be able to take their place next year.”  

Nathan Kuhta, Staff Reporter

dsc0027.jpg
Photo shows the HR football team in a scramble for the ball. Photo by Nathan Kuhta