Class of 2018 says ‘goodbye’ at graduation

As the class of 2018 walked across the popular stage of Red Rocks Amphitheater, they crossed the line from students, to graduates, and to official adults in the world. HR students look forward to walking down the 196 steps to receive their diploma after their final year of high school. Kelsey Newman, sophomore, said, “I attended two of my older brothers’ graduations here at Red Rocks. I can’t wait for the day that we get to walk across that stage for our graduation.” It is a unique tradition that HR gets to have and gives students an experience to look forward to for their graduation.

Jennah Klein, Staff Reporter

LRG_DSC04433
The parents filled the seats to watch their children graduate on Wednesday night. Many people attend HR graduation such as family, friends, fellow students from other classes, and administrators from feeder elementary schools. It looks as if they are awaiting one of the many concerts that happen right here in this amphitheater. Photo by Jennah Klein
jennah4
Although HR recognizes the students who choose to go to college and continue their education at universities after high school, they also recognize the several students who decide to continue their education or life through the armed forces. Bennett Atencio (pictured) is enlisting in the Air Force after high school. Photo by Jennah Klein
jennah5
Another unique tradition that HR graduation has is having previous principals of students (elementary and middle school) in attendance at their graduation. Mr. Sid Rundle, Cresthill Middle School Principal, gets to see many of his previous students receive their diploma after their thirteen years of education. Photo by Jennah Klein
jennah2
It’s all in the timing. HR goes between three different time slots for graduation. It is either at 9 AM, 2 PM, or 7 PM. This year, HR had the privilege to have the ceremony in the evening. This led to a picturesque sunset and great views of the red rocks. Also, the only day that the weather in Colorado was completely clear that week, was the day of HR’s graduation. Photo by Jennah Klein
jennah3
Here we saw the classic moment after tassels were moved to the left, that everyone threw their caps into the air. The caps littered the air like confetti and showed the physical celebration the graduates immediately got to have. Photo by Jennah Klein