Girls varsity tennis team prepares to take on regionals

As the school year begins to wind down, the girls varsity tennis team is preparing for one of the last competitions of the season, regionals.  Regionals are a way for all varsity tennis girls to conclude their season by competing for the top school. Regionals will be held May 2-3.

The team has high hopes and believes that they will do well in this tournament.  “I think the team will do really good at regionals. I feel like we have lots of potential and determination to get to where we want to be,” said Kimberly Cuevas, junior.  

The team has been practicing everyday after school in order to improve upon their skills and prepare for the tournament.  Samuel Kurucz, assistant tennis coach, said, “We changed our practices a little, focusing on match play and game situations.”   

However, this doesn’t mean that the girls don’t have some nerves as the date of this match approaches.  “I’m most nervous about competing since it’s my first year on varsity. I know it’ll be fun, but just getting the nerves out of the way will be hard to do,” said Stephanie Voegele, senior.  

Everyone on the varsity team will be attending regionals; however, only the best can move on to state.  Voegele said, “Hopefully a majority of us can go onto state, but we’ll see how we do. We will all be proud with contributing to our matches no matter what.”

As this is her final year on the HR tennis team, Voegele is proud to be on varsity for her last year.  She said, “I’m most excited to play and support my team when the time comes. I’m excited to finish my senior year playing this sport as well.”

Paige Martin, Staff Reporter

tennis photo
Girls tennis team poses for a picture before practice.  Photo courtesy of Jennah Klein