Freshmen make varsity soccer

The HR girls soccer season is just beginning. This sport is just one of the many that are offered here at Ranch. But the most eye catching detail about this sport is the inexperienced freshmen who have the guts to make the varsity team this spring.

Spencer Ward, the coach of the varsity team, said the team’s goal this season is to “have fun, create memories, make new friends, play as a unit, and make the playoffs.” The team is predominantly seniors, and although there are only four, there are more freshmen this year than previous years.

When approaching the differences in age, experience, and ability, Ward said, “If you’re selected for varsity that means you have the talent to compete physically, mentally, and skillfully, as we’re a unit and as such, age or level doesn’t come in to it; everyone is equal in my opinion.”

In regards to tryouts, one of these few freshman who made varsity, Mia Gallo, said, “I wasn’t expecting to make varsity because there were a lot of upperclassmen, but further and further each day, I wanted to make varsity more.” Based off the surprise and sheer glee of some of these freshmen, making varsity is no easy feat.“I just try to remember I love the sport, and it doesn’t really matter if I’m having fun,” Gallo said.

Sidney Cullinan, another freshman, was not expecting to make varsity, yet she has been playing for 10 years, and her excitement and positivity got her to where she is today. Cullinan said, “All I wanted to do was really make a good impression.”

She was nervous going into tryouts, but by talking and connecting with her fellow peers and focusing on not letting nerves come to her mind, having fun and showing off her area of expertise, she thrived. Now on varsity, she said, “I’m super excited and grateful. I can’t wait to play with everybody.”

According to Ward, the skills required in order to make the varsity team include ball control (being able to juggle), understanding how the game is played, and having stamina and the ability to cope with physical aspects of the sport. But as humans, injuries are unavoidable and come in a package deal with these skills. “We have a young squad this season and managed to get three teams with smaller rosters, so fatigue and injuries are a concern,” said Ward.

Regarding the team, and what he hopes to see them improve on over time, Ward said, “We’re going in the right direction and I would improve in our facilities and continue to keep the current coaching staff in this program to develop and grow.”

Delaney Atchison, Guest Reporter

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 8.14.31 AM
Mia Gallo, freshman, and Sidney Cullinan, freshman, at a varsity soccer game. Photo courtesy of Emerson Zettl