Crack open a book with book club

Society as a whole has seemed to have a shift in popularity concerning books.  Where has the enjoyment of books gone? The truth is it has never left, as one club, Book Club, continues to pursue the recreation of reading.

To truly understand a message presented in a book, a conversation is key. In Book Club, member’s input is always appreciated. When a book is controversial, meaningful conversation spreads like wildfire. “I joined the club because I really enjoy reading,” said Xander Raley, freshman and a member of the club. “I always feel involved in the book discussions.”  At Book Club, conversations begin about more than just the plot of a book, but the very concepts that were laid together by the author.

“Book Club provides a great social outlet and comraderie for many kids,” said Gina Bernacchi, head librarian and teacher sponsor of the club. “This lets many students read books they haven’t read or otherwise wouldn’t have read.”

Unlike many school assignments, where a book is dissected for its literary merit, Book Club talks about the book as a whole. Once that conversation begins, all members listen in and put in their two cents. By the time the session has ended, everyone feels like they got out their opinions on the book. Bernacchi said, “The club encourages like-minded kids to read and actually come together to read something.”  

Book Club
Book club members at the latest meeting, reading “A Court of Thorns and Roses.” Photo by Jordan Rust.

The members of the club also got to choose all the books they wanted to read for the year. “We read a variety of everything and whatever awesome books anyone wants to read,” said Esmeralda Rivera, senior and student leader of the club. “This is a great club to take, and I love hearing everyone’s two cents and thoughts on the books.”

So far the club has read a variety of books, all of which can be found on their website (https://sites.google.com/a/dcsdk12.org/hrhs-book-club/home). So far this year, the club has read fantasy, romance, science fiction, mystery, suspense, and many others. The best thing about all of these books is the members of the club don’t have to automatically love the book. If something grinds their gears about the book (plot hole, annoying characters, etc.) they share it to the group, continuing on with a real conversation.

So if you enjoy reading and having real conversations about various genres of books, give book club a try.

Jordan Rust, Print Editor