Amazing, not offensive

“Wonder Woman”, starring Gal Gadot, was released on June 2, 2017. The film, which is the first and only film of the character to date, was anticipated by many, embraced by many, and rejected by many.

At first, it looked like the world would accept “Wonder Woman” as just another awesome superhero movie. By the end of the summer, “Wonder Woman” had made over 800 million dollars worldwide. Yet, it seemed that with every heart the movie touched, it disgusted another. On top of her fictional enemies, Wonder Woman would also have to face the ridiculousness of everyday politics and sexism.

The controversy first started last year when one thousand United Nations staffers signed a petition stating they were against Wonder Woman being named Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls. Not because she is fictional, but because they thought she was overly sexualized. According to The Guardian, the authors of the petition wrote, “It is alarming that the United Nations would consider using a character with an overtly sexualised image at a time when the headline news in United States and the world is the objectification of women and girls.”

Things started to get worse from there. A women’s only screening at the Alamo Drafthouse in Texas caused commotion among men, and the screening was canceled. In Lebanon, a group tried to get the film banned due to Gadot’s Israeli heritage and association with their army, as Lebanon and Israel are currently at war. Many other countries followed Lebanon’s lead and banned the movie as well.

Not letting Wonder Woman be the Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls is outrageous and infuriating. While Wonder Woman has been sexualized in the past, I don’t see any of that in her new movie, and she should be reconsidered. She, and her fellow Amazons, are perfect role models. They work together, treat each other as equals, and are just all around awe inspiring. She is a warrior who encourages girls to fight for what they believe in and have confidence while they do it.

The only thing that might be too “sexual” is the clothing they wear, but even that isn’t true. Skin is not inherently sexual, unless implied, but in the movie, it is never implied. They wear functional armor, not a silly costume, and their armor is revealing only because it is necessary to have no restriction when fighting. They have corsets to protect their vital organs. Their skirts are short with flaps so they have movement in their hips while also providing protection. Their clothes are for battle, and nothing else.

All of this commotion is disappointing. The public has been waiting many, many years for Wonder Woman to get her own movie, and when she does, the world can barely handle it. The movie is fantastic, and people should be able to enjoy it without being forced to face the politics and sexism that have now been connected with Wonder Woman.

Kathryn Lopez, Staff Reporter

wonder-woman-st_20401839_4c810a83bb17ce0482672721a0511bcf25c199a5
Infographic about the Twitter war James Cameron started. GraphicCo: Kathryn Lopez