Girls tennis strikes up a strong bond

image1
Sam Krusoe, Megan Mrla, Anna Lemons, and Lindsay True. PhotoCo: Andrea True

Some believe that winning is everything; they believe that the whole point of a sport is to compete against others and to ultimately win. While that is rewarding, the HR girls tennis team has shown the other motivations and benefits of team sports.

HR’s girls’ varsity tennis team has lost seven and won zero games this season. Despite these game stats, the girls still have fun out on the court.

“Winning is important and all, but it’s definitely not our most important focus. We like to focus more on having fun and improving!” said Megan Mrla, junior and varsity player.

While winning may be important to the team, these girls make the most of losing. Julie Tucci, junior, said, “Winning is always rewarding but regardless of the outcome, we seem to just always have a fun time playing! My partner and I are always very proud of ourselves.”

Through a passion for a shared sport, and the fun they have on the team, the girls have created a bond. Lindsay True, junior, said, “I feel like our team is super close with one another; there’s a bond between all the girls.”

The girls maintain this bond through various social activities outside of tennis. True said, “We have gone to team dinners, gotten ice cream and cookies, and we just have a lot of fun together during all the matches and practices.”

Tennis has also impacted the girls’  lives. While they may not have the rewarding feeling of winning lots of their matches, but they do have the reward of having each other. Mrla said, “Being on a team and playing tennis is super fun. I play singles, so it’s an individual sport while I’m actually on the court, but I always have the team cheering me on from the sidelines.”

Caitlyn Tsukamoto, Editor in Chief