Senior ceiling tile project

Every senior class was given the opportunity to leave their legacy. Whether that was in the form of a mural, painting the gym stands, or an engraving, and more, senior class projects are scattered throughout the school. An immense amount of history exists within HR. Each graduating class signed their piece of art that can be recognized by every class to come.

This year the class of 2017 will have the chance to leave their legacy. The ceiling tile project allows all seniors to paint a ceiling tile from the hallway by the rotunda. “I think the goal of the project is to bring seniors together. I think it’s a great opportunity for the class of 2017 to leave an individual piece of themselves at a school they’ve spent a lot of time helping to create the culture we have now,” said Rashaan Davis, senate advisor.

This project will take place on April 10th from 9am to 12pm in the HR upper gym. There is a $5 fee to participate. The paint supplies will be provided or seniors can bring their own and free pizza will be available.

The idea of painting ceiling tiles first began in Senior Senate. “In our senate class we had some seniors attend a conference and when they came back from that they talked about this project from another school. We actually tried it within our senate room to see what the overall outcome would look like and it was amazing! So a lot of us, including myself, wanted to expand that idea and we began the tile project with all seniors,” said Chasmine Malabanan, senior. Each ceiling tile is colored and designed differently, and when they all are side by side, the ceiling is transformed from a blank canvas to an array of original artworks.

“I’m hoping the end result is an explosion of creativity of sorts in the hallway.
I’m not too sure what I want to put on. Either a quote from one of my favorite authors or an original from myself,” said Cobi Burks, senior. As many seniors, like Burks, are nearing the end of their time here at HR, they are excited to leave their mark in a unique way.

Davis said, “The one thing we always say we are missing are great traditions and this is a good one. So to walk in the middle and start with 2017 that will never be a bad thing, but to wind your way around the halls and see different grade levels that have left their mark the way they see the here and now is great to reflect on and look forward to.”

Emma Atchison, Online Editor

Just a few of the painted ceiling tiles in the Student Senate classroom. PhotoCo: Emma Atchison