Wright provides struggling students with a second chance

Bruce Wright, assistant principal and athletic director, helps students correct their mistakes and deal with their problems. Being a recovering alcoholic himself, he knows the importance of second chances.

Wright faced many challenges while growing up. His dad was an alcoholic and Wright visited with a psychiatrist for his depression. As a result, Wright said, “I was medicating myself with alcohol.”

At 31 years old, Wright was driving home and it hit him. He was about to lose everything and go down the same path as his dad. He told his psychiatrist and started a treatment program along with Alcoholics Anonymous.

In treatment, Wright learned that it’s all about humility. He said, “You must think more of others and not less of yourself.” By living in today and staying positive, he received a second chance in life.

Wright’s experiences with his AA sponsor affect how he interacts with students. He said, “I hope the kids I come in contact with learn life lessons for the rest of their life.”

Wright is not alone in his abuse of alcohol. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, “Alcohol is the most widely used substance of abuse among America’s youth.”

For students abusing alcohol, Wright said, “There’s always hope.” They can find support from a trusted adult and deal with their problems.

Likewise, Raelynn Nissler, counselor at HRHS, said, “It’s important to find somebody someone feels safe with.” Students are not always comfortable seeking their parents for help, but they need to find someone they trust. Similar to Wright, Nissler watches students turn their life around everyday.

Due to hope and the support around him, Wright has been sober for 28 years. He now helps other students correct their mistakes. Wright said, “Everyone deserves a second chance.”

Ashley Burns, Guest Reporter

Falcon Nation Pic 1.jpg
Mr.Wright holding a falcon PhotoCo: Su Wright