Study opportunities abound at new Lone Tree Libary

A library is not always a student’s favorite place in the world.  This may be because a library is filled with books and a lot of students see reading as a chore. However, there is a new library just a few miles from HR with lots of amenities to offer besides books. Lone Tree recently built a library that has more books, space, and technology than the previous one. The Lone Tree Library is one out of seven Douglas County Libraries, and the one located closest to HR. 

All of the locations are filled with resources for students, but Lone Tree is a little special. First, the new library has a lot more room than the old one. A whole extra floor in fact,  that offers a teen center with teen novels and an even bigger children’s section with lots of interactive toys.

A pretty major change is the new library study rooms. A study room is a private room that students can rent for up to 120 minutes using their library card. A study room can hold up to four people and includes a monitor for presentations.

“At this particular library we have eight study rooms, which is actually the most out of any of our locations,” said Lanie Hoffman, a library mentor at the Lone Tree Library.

“I love using study rooms to do my homework and study for my classes. It is nice and quiet and gets me away from all the distractions at home,” said Alaina Oscai, sophomore.

For those who lack a portable computer, the library has a laptop checkout.  Students can rent laptops with their library card for use while they remain at the library.  

“It’s really nice that they have laptops there because I don’t have a computer that I could bring there and most of my homework is online,” said Cameron Baird, sophomore.

Another major technological resource that most students may be familiar with is the online research database.  The research database includes everything from homework help websites, access to complete eBooks and encyclopedias, to databases for many other subjects.

Whether you are studying alone for an upcoming test, meeting a group for a class presentation, or seeking a quiet place to do homework  and read a good book, the Lone Tree Library is worth checking out.

Sam Mate, Staff Reporter

Sam Mate library
The entrance of the new Lone Tree Library. PhotoCo: Sam Mate