Nicole Florian performs “Hummel Trumpet Concerto” at Great Works

Nicole Florian performs Hummel Trumpet Concerto at Great Works

The HR performing arts department performed their Great Works Program on April 28. The  concert took place at St. Andrew’s Church and included the annual Concerto Competition.

The Concerto Competition is a Highlands Ranch tradition where one student gets to play the concerto of their choice with full orchestra accompaniment. Kevin Larsen, band director, said, “There’s an audition process that includes a judging panel. This year Mr. Page was also on the panel. The students come in and play their concerto for the committee. The committee then decides who played the best and gets to play at Great Works.”

A concerto is a musical piece composed for a soloist. It often features an orchestra accompaniment. The Concerto Competition is open to any orchestra, band, or choir members with a concerto prepared.

Winning the Concerto Competition and getting the opportunity to perform at Great Works takes a lot of work. Ryan Woodworth, orchestra director, said, “It takes someone with a polished piece and playing to the highest level to get picked.”

This year, senior Nicole Florian was picked to perform her concerto: Hummel Trumpet Concerto in E minor. “She had a really clear tone and clear articulation,” Woodworth said. “You could tell she had done a lot of research and preparation on the piece.”

Winning the Concerto Competition takes a great deal of dedication and practice. She practiced for “hours, upon hours, upon hours, upon hours,” Larsen said.

Although only one student can perform their concerto at Great Works each year, many students get the opportunity to be a part of the accompaniment. This year Chamber Orchestra and Wind Ensemble served as Florian’s accompaniment. “It offers the opportunity to participate in an extremely high demand musical experience. It also allows for all students to see a level of performance that they otherwise might not ever see,” Larsen said.

The HR Concerto Competition is a great opportunity that honors successful musicians and inspires musicians of all abilities. Woodworth said, “It helps students be honored for their high level of playing, build a sense of accomplishment, and promotes the camaraderie of cheering people on.”

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 10.00.27 PM
Nicole Florian and orchestral accompaniment after performing “Hummel Trumpet Concerto”. PhotoCo: John Andretsos

Ella Stilwell, Online Editor