Girl’s basketball working together as a team

Girls basketball working together as a team
Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 9.43.10 PM
HR girls varsity basketball team. PhotoCo: Kailee Shear

The HR girl’s varsity basketball team, with 21 wins and 1 loss, is currently ranked first in the state. The team is also first in Continental league at 9-0 (CHSSA).

On February 16, Highlands Ranch played Castle View and won 61-30. They also played Rock Canyon on February 18 and won 80-14.

The team consists of ten players, ranging from freshman to seniors. The team has a tight bond which helps them to succeed.

Kasey Neubert, freshman, plays forward on the team. “We have such a great connection and bond,” Neubert said. “We play as one, not as individuals.” Although this is her first year on the team, she has played club with many girls outside of school.

Leilah Vigil, sophomore, plays wing and power forward for the team. “We’ve been working well together and making connections,” she said. This is Vigil’s second year on the varsity team.

The girls varsity team is coached by Caryn Jarocki, and assistant coaches Traci Nemechek and Rick Harris. Jarocki has been coaching the team for 20  years and has led the team to many state championships.

The coaches “bring positive energy and good vibes,” said Vigil. She said that it is important for the team to have good chemistry and communication in order to play well together. Neubert said the coaches “Believe in us and we trust what they have to say.”

The players must also individually work hard to achieve their personal best. “I bring energy, toughness, and determination,” says Vigil.

Highlands Ranch is going into the State Tournament as the number one seed. Their first game in the tournament is on Friday, February 26 at Ranch. Neubert added, “We have been doing a great job and I think we will keep it up for the rest of the season.”

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 9.42.24 PM
PhotoCo: Caryn Jarocki

Ella Stilwell, Staff Reporter