Girls Basketball continues its dominant tradition

As another winter comes to an end, so does an exciting and successful girls basketball season for HR. This past winter, the girls basketball team made it back to the final four in the state tournament, cementing their legacy as one of the most dominant teams HR has ever seen, making the final four in back to back years. 

Although the season was a success for the team, it did not come without its challenges. Whether it was playing in empty gyms due to COVID-19 or playing entire games with masks on, the team was able to overcome adversity and persevere through almost anything thrown their way.

While in season, the team decided that it would be in their best interest for the team to quarantine during their season. “Everyone was able to stay healthy because we went remote, which was our biggest hurdle of the season,” said Caryn Jarocki, head girls basketball coach. 

Highlands Ranch Varsity Girls Basketball, photo courtesy of Michelle Principato

Throughout the season, players were continuing to sharpen their skills as well as showing off their special talents. “What worked well for me this season was my defense and my offensive cuts to the lane,” said Gianna Principato, senior.

As the season drew on, the team continued to dominate on both offense and defense. “ Throughout the season, our defense kept getting better and people underestimated that especially towards the end of the season,” said Jarocki. 

With the hard work and dedication provided by every player on the team, the team excelled in multiple statistical areas. The team was above the national average in points, rebounds, and blocks to name a few. 

Highlands Ranch Girls Basketball stats compared to the national average stats, infographic by Jake West

Unfortunately, the team was unable to make it to the state championship, eventually falling to the current state champions Valor. Although the team did not win the title, they still managed to be ranked number four among 5A schools in Colorado, and finish with a 14-3 record on the season.

For some players, this is only the beginning of their career playing for HR, and a season like this is just what the team needed in order to uphold and carry on their dominant tradition. For others, it’s the end of their time playing for the school. “I am going to miss all my teammates next year and miss the team connection we had on and off the court,” said Principato. 

Jake West, Staff Reporter