How different states are sheltering in place

In a matter of only weeks, the roads have become emptier than ever, most schools have been closed down for the rest of the school year, and many people have to work from home. Some jobs deemed as essential will continue to function, while many others are closing down to slow the spread of COVID-19. According to the New York Times, as of right now, there are at least 316 million people in over 42 states that are being urged to follow through with a full shelter in place rule. 

As these precautions have been put into place, the State Department has advised Americans to avoid all nonessential travel and to stay at home as much as possible. Axios claims that “the number of states that issued orders nearly quadrupled, affecting more than 300 million Americans.” These orders, in most states, are not a lock down, which still allows residents to continue performing tasks that are essential to the health and safety of family and pets. The Colorado governor, Jared Polis, said, according to a USA Today article,“You have the chance to be a hero and save thousands of lives by staying at home.” 

For all states, President Trump has advised against group gatherings of ten or more people, and he has discouraged going to restaurants and wants to limit travel as much as possible. As of late April, there were eight states without a shelter in place, which is primarily the more rural states of Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, North and South Dakota. Although, most governors in these states have still closed down nonessential businesses, urged those that are older or have health conditions to stay home, and have banned large gatherings. The other three states include Utah, Oklahoma, and Wyoming, which have put down orders in their bigger cities. 

The stay at home orders that have been announced in different states all look pretty similar, and according to The Cut,“Governors in a handful of states have resisted, saying that they believe such orders are unnecessary and could be harmful,” which could create conflicts. USA Today claims that “regional reactions to COVID-19 have a lot to do with everything from the varied political views that exist across the nation to the hardships that some encounter annually because of geography. These states will probably end up following suit to put an official set shelter in place, which could add more seriousness to the situation.”

In our community at HR, librarian Gina Bernacchi shares how she is personally doing with the stay at home order set into place in Colorado. “ I miss seeing students every day and hearing about what’s going on in their lives and helping them find books and talking about what they’re reading. I also miss my co-workers, and helping them with what’s going on in their classrooms, and hearing about their lives, too.” HR will continue remote learning for the remainder of the school year and is currently under a stay-at-home order until April 26. 

Hannah McKinney, Staff Reporter

shelter in place in us_163567
Information about shelter in place in the United States. Source: The New York Times. Infographic by Hannah McKinney