New coach kickstarts soccer program

After a very successful spell in California, coach Steven Carels comes to Highlands Ranch High School with the hope to shift the boys soccer program back in the right direction. “Back in California, I won 2 CIF state championships and 7 League titles,” Carels said. Carels hopes to change the course of history for the boys soccer program and make the playoffs.

Before Carels’ arrival, the boys soccer program was much below average with only a 9-23 record from 2016-2018. “They brought Matt and I in to help redirect the program into a more positive way,” Carels said. After missing out on playoffs for yet another year, the entire coaching staff was changed to hopefully bring the program success.

Alongside Carels’, head coach Matt Brennan looks to bring a new mentality to the programs. “Every game we want to play like this. Like winners,” said Brennan during a pre-game pep talk. Brennan and Carels bring the mentality of playing like winners to the program to increase performance for the entire team.

Carels believes that this year could be a really good year for the HR boys soccer team. “This year students should come out to the games because we have a really talented group of boys who are looking to make it to playoffs,” said Carels. After coming off an inspiring double overtime win against Ponderosa, the team now looks ahead to their next challenge.

Boys soccer has never been the most popular sport at HR, but Carels hopes to change that. “We play an exciting style of soccer with a 3 back system,” said Carels. “We play with one less in the back to hopefully score more goals.” With a new attacking based system, many students have been showing up to games to cheer on the Falcons to multiple wins on the season.

Carels and Brennan have very high hopes for the seasons to come as well. “With the depth we have in our squad, I can see our program going on an upward trend,” said Carels. With multiple new and returning players this season, Carels believes that as long as the work rates stays high, the program can become more successful in the long run.

Jake West, Guest Reporter

Adjustments.plist.jpg
Steven Carels talking motivation into his team at halftime in a game versus Mountain Vista. Photo courtesy of Kim Maloney