The baseball seniors’ last hit

The varsity boys baseball team just completed their last few games before the season came to an end and the seniors take off for college. During their playtime this year, they won an overall 7 out of 16 games. Throughout the whole Colorado 5A/4A Continental league, Jake McBride, sophomore, first baseman and pitcher, is ranked 6 for number of home-runs and Zack Medina, senior, infielder and pitcher, is ranked 10 for number of strikeouts.

Medina, said, “The team started off strong and we were going into the beginning of the season with some high hopes, but after the Arizona trip we came back struggling. We definitely bonded more though with each other over the season.” Every team has their good days and bad days, but the players came together to pull out some wins later on after spring break in Arizona.

Lance Opp, senior, outfielder and pitcher, said, “The hardest game for our team was Thunder Ridge because in my time against Thunder Ridge, our senior class had beaten them in the three years prior. We ended up winning in the bottom of the seventh-inning, 10-9, and it was our best team win we had all year.”

The underlying theme being voiced by the players is their appreciation for each other, no matter the outcome of their games. Nick Humphrey, senior, middle infielder, said, “Personally I am disappointed that we didn’t make playoffs, but above everything else we build relationships that will last forever and that’s what’s most important to me.”

Medina said, “I bonded with the players like they were a second family.” All things must come to an end though, and the seniors will have to maintain their baseball friendships from colleges miles apart.

For example, Medina is playing Division 2 baseball at Colorado Christian University, Opp is going to Colorado State University Pueblo on a football scholarship, and Humphrey is going to Colorado Northwestern Community College to play baseball. Humphrey said, “I played for one of the coaches that works at that school, and they were very interested in me and gave me a scholarship. I will be on the team, but I’ll have to fight for playing time just like in high school.”

Even though the seniors are graduating and taking their baseball passion with them, the rest of the team still has the following years to keep playing. Humphrey said, “I think there are many solid juniors and they will step up every day to transform the team into what it needs to be! I wish them the best of luck!”

Taylor Means, Editor in Chief

Zack Medina pitches 3 innings in a home game against Mountain Vista High School. Photo by Taylor Means