Upcoming Big Movies of 2024

Falcons for Progress: Becoming politically involved in high school

In an age where politics are a daily important topic, how are high school students supposed to become politically involved if they can’t vote? According to The Atlantic, there was a 118% increase in early votes sent in by voters 18-29, but especially  for students under 18, it may seem almost impossible to make any kind of political impact in the community. Some students at HR have found a solution: joining a political club, more specifically, Falcons for Progress. 

Falcons for Progress (FFP) is the democratic political club at HR, the other being the republican YAF (Young Americans for Freedom). FFP helps get students in touch with their community and become more educated about not only local issues, but global ones as well. “I wanted to join FFP because I wanted to be more politically involved as well as understand what was happening in the world around me. No matter what side you lean towards, I think it’s super important to be a global citizen and understand and empathize with the world around you,” said Maddie Crea, senior.

In terms of being informed and educated, Crea says, “There is not progress towards better without education. Last year we did a teaching tolerance lesson on a teacher work day because it taught teachers how to better handle differences in the classroom. It creates a safe space for diversity, which I strongly believe in.” By hosting lessons like these, FFP works to strengthen their values and pass them on to the community.

Some people may say that high school students should stay out of politics because they are young, but as the future of the nation, students work harder and harder to have their voices heard. Crea said, “Just like most things in high school, we’re preparing for life. Being politically involved in high school means when you do turn 18, you’re already knowledgeable about the world around you and already have experience dealing with people different than you.”

Kaylee Kirkwood, Editor in Chief

untitled-5c-20i_35104944
Political involvement statistics. Graphic by Kaylee Kirkwood