The true meaning of Christmas

When the highly anticipated season finally arrives, and the words “Christmas time” bounce around town, it’s not hard to imagine all that’s to come in the month of December. Presents, sugar cookies, gingerbread houses, and caroling are just a glimpse of what the season encompasses. While I enjoy these holiday wonders, my thoughts explore something deeper.

Although it’s all fun in merriment, for many, Christmas is very much a commercialized holiday, thus losing the true meaning of the season. The real meaning for me is all about Jesus.

Perhaps one of the most told biblical stories, the birth of Jesus Christ was a joyous and momentous occasion. About 2,000 years ago, God sent his only son to be born to the virgin Mary, as we often refer to her, and her husband Joseph. The angel Gabriel then visited Mary, telling her she would give birth to the son of God.

After traveling long and far to Bethlehem from Nazareth, Mary and Joseph were told there was no room at the inn. Instead, they were sent to the stable to stay amongst the hay and sleeping animals. At the moment of His birth, the star of the Messiah guided the three wise men, who brought gifts of frankincense, gold, and myrrh.

In Isaiah 9:6 it is said, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” This scripture passage alludes to the importance of the birth of Jesus and what it would ultimately mean for mankind. He was born to be the Savior of the world.

My favorite part of decorating is setting up the nativity scene because it serves as a constant reminder of my Lord and Savior and all he has done for me. Seeing this scene makes me grateful because through it I am reminded that this seemingly helpless infant would one day die on a cross for the forgiveness of my sin. This sacrifice is of inexplicable value because it ultimately means I can experience a relationship with my God.

In John 10:11, Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” This reiterates what was done for me, a “sheep” in the flock.

The true meaning of Christmas not only includes the glorious birth of the son of God, but in addition for me, endless gratitude. I’m grateful for what Christ did for me, and because of this, Christmas brings out the best in me. Even if this isn’t something you can relate to, there are so many things we can find in life to be thankful for, often the simplest things, like the ability to even have a Christmas while so many can’t.

I also take solace in the knowledge that Christ will one day return, not as a small baby born in a feeding trough, but as the righteous almighty God. So this holiday season, my hope is that you will be encouraged to look deeper into the real meaning behind Christmas, whether it’s the birth of baby Jesus or merely showing gratitude for something in your life. Because on Christmas Eve night, instead of watching for Santa and his big jolly belly coming down the chimney, I will simply look up, and say thank you. After all, he’s right there in the name, ‘Christ’mas.

Delaney Atchison, Staff Reporter

Christmas Infographic
Infographic by Delaney Atchison