Mac Miller’s battle with drug addiction

Two fingers press down on a cold neck with hopes of feeling a pulse, but there is none to be found. This is the unfortunate scenario that authorities had to face when Pittsburg rapper Mac Miller was found dead in his home in LA on the morning of Sept. 7.

Mac Miller was a great all around artist and his death is devastating, and people will always remember him for his character and the magic that he created once he put pen to paper. The other side of Miller’s death should be used as another example of the dangers of drug addiction.

The reason for Miller’s death is unfortunate, but can be used as an example of the dangers of drugs. The official drug that caused Miller to overdose is not released, but it is clear that it was overdose. Over the past few years, he has been very open about his addiction with drugs, more specifically, lean. After some criticism that was received after his album “Blue Slide Park” was released, Miller turned to the recreational use of lean, but it would soon become a full-blown addiction.

In an interview with Complex, Miller said, “I love lean; it’s great… I was not happy and I was on lean very heavy, I was so f**ked up all the time it was bad. My friends couldn’t even look at me the same. I was lost.” As much as he loved lean at first, it became his Achilles’ heel. This was the drug that Miller used most often and ultimately the reason for his death.

Based on information gathered from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, within the last three years, opioid based deaths (the codeine found in lean is an opioid) has skyrocketed into the number one type of overdose. Out of the 72,000 deaths per year from drug overdoses, opioids are the cause for over 30,000 of those deaths.

One person that was heavily affected by Miller’s lean addiction was his ex-girlfriend and singer, Ariana Grande. She was dating Miller for almost two years before they parted ways and she witnessed the unfortunate addiction first-hand. Even though their relationship was over, Grande released a post to Instagram showing how much love she still had for him.

Grande posted a video of her and Miller sharing a laugh in the car and captioned the post, “I adored you from the day I met you when I was nineteen and I always will. I can’t believe you aren’t here anymore. I really can’t wrap my head around it. we talked about this. so many times. I’m so mad, I’m so sad I don’t know what to do … I’m so sorry I couldn’t fix or take your pain away. I really wanted to. the kindest, sweetest soul with demons he never deserved. I hope you’re okay now. rest.”

Kyle Lynch, Staff Reporter

Mac_Miller_(7)_–_splash!_Festival_20_(2017)_(cropped)
Mac Miller performing at the 2017 Splash! Music Festival. Photo Co Wikimedia Commons.