Reliving the wait for “beerbongs and bentleys”

The luxurious life of beerbongs and bentleys didn’t come easy for Austin Post, AKA Post Malone. It took years for his fame to reach the level that it is today, but it seemed like it took even longer for him to drop his album “beerbongs and bentleys,”(B&B) following his critically acclaimed album “Stoney”, released in 2016.

The album was first alluded to being dropped summer of 2017, but there wasn’t an actual release date until he spilled the beans during a podcast interview with Youtuber H3H3productions. When talking about the album, Malone said,  “It’s gonna be done. I’m gonna finish it this week.” Then, he proceeded to reveal the project release date: “It’ll be out December. Dec. 1 at midnight.”

On the night of Dec 1, the only thing that was dropped by Post Malone was an apology tweet which started with “Hey guys, I know a lot of you guys were expecting a project today, it won’t be dropping for a little while. I’m sorry to let you down, but i need to make sure this album is perfect for you…” This was extremely disappointing to most of his followers and left people wondering if B&B was just a dream.

No news of any new Post Malone music was released for another two months until he tweeted that a new single, “Psycho,” would be released Feb. 23. This song was one step closer to the release of the full album and fans were still left with high anticipation.

Almost another full two months went by without any B&B information being released until Malone tweeted “my album comes out April 27”. This was the most important tweet of the night until hours later when Malone tweeted out, “boobs”.

On the night of April 26, as the majority of the hip hop community was thrilled to finally hear “beerbongs and bentleys”, they were met with another apology tweet from Malone, or so they thought. Just minutes before the release, he tweeted, “sorry to announce to all my fans that there’s been complication with the album and it won’t be released tonight. I’m sorry to all my fans and I didn’t mean to let you down again. JK LOL MOFOS 20 MINUTES TURN THE F**K UP”.

It seemed that in typical Post Malone fashion, he would delay the release of his album once more. Fans were relieved to see that it was just a joke, and when the album finally dropped, many fans were left wondering if it was worth the wait.

In my opinion, “beerbongs and bentleys” was indeed worth the wait. The album was full of raw Post Malone material. Of the fifteen songs that weren’t previously singles, 13 of those songs didn’t have any features.

Compared to “Stoney”, “beerbongs and bentleys” was much more upbeat without straying too far away from Post Malone’s roots. “Stay” was the only acoustic song on the album that was played behind Malone’s heavenly voice. After listening to the 12 previous songs, it was great to listen to the type of song that made you fall in love with Malone in the first place.

Even with the almost year delay, the album was still greatly loved as it broke the global record for first day stream with 78,744,748 streams. Each song clearly had loads of work put into them as none of them left me disappointed.

As fans enjoy this album, they will be looking forward to the future of Post Malone to see where he will take his music. It just might take him a few more years to actually produce something.

Kyle Lynch, Social Media Editor

Post_Malone_(28150750483)
Post Malone performing on stage. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia