Girls golf shoots for state

They have won three tournaments in a row. They have a D1 athlete. They are getting ready for regionals and state coming in May. They are girls golf. John Cushing has been coaching for over twenty years as a girls golf coach and now has become the head coach. They have recently won two invitationals and are getting prepped for state.

Cushing said, “I’ve been an assistant to golf for many years, so when the head coach job became available I interviewed for it. I love the game, being outside, and watching these girls develop into golfers and leaders.” He has eight girls on his team, but one girl stands out the most due to her incredible golfing and great leadership.

Their senior captain, Jenna Chun, recently signed to play D1 girls golf at UNC. Cushing said, “She is a great leader for the team and has helped us so much. You can always count on her to be on the top of her game and to make sure the rest of our team is as well. It’s been fun seeing her grow.” As they get ready for state, a lot of pressure will be on Chun.

Chun said, “I love golf and approach every day the same way. I want to have fun and play the game I love.” Chun looks forward to her future.

Before they leave for state, Cushing wants them to know: “It’s a very neat opportunity to play the game they have always played. The grass isn’t different, and we can’t let it get in our head. I want them to have fun and a great attitude. I love coaching them and I cannot wait to see what they do.” Regionals is May 9 and and state is May 18.

Dominic Dakovich, Staff Reporter

DSC_0037.JPG
The girls are practicing their chipping at practice. Photo by Dominic Dakovich