December holiday choir concert returns for another year

On Friday, Dec. 15 and Saturday, Dec. 16, there will be a holiday showcase held in the auditorium.  The HR choir will be singing holiday songs and bringing smiles to the families and friends that attend the concert.  This showcase will also feature pieces from the band and orchestra.  

Alaina Spangenberger, sophomore, said, “It’s a great way to get excited for the holidays.  It’s also a week before winter break starts, so people can enjoy a holiday performance before going on Christmas break.” 

Each year, the choir learns new holiday songs.  “We do this so that the concert isn’t just us singing the same Christmas songs each year,” Spangenberger said.  However, this doesn’t mean that they don’t acknowledge the classics.  The setlist is a mix of old and new songs.  They do this in hopes of providing a more diverse show.  

Makayla Martinez, junior, said, “It’s really nice because it’s much more laid-back, so there isn’t so much pressure.  There’s no competition, and it’s just us bringing joy to loved ones.  It’s a great way to get into the Christmas spirit.”

According to Martinez, the choir has dedicated the last month of their class to preparing for this show.  If you love Christmas and singing, head on down to the lower auditorium on either the 15th at 7 PM or the 16th at 1 PM.

Paige Martin, Staff Reporter

Katherine Griek and Briana Rios, juniors at the 2017 choir retreat.  Photo by Alaina Spangenberger